Sunday, January 16, 2011

Groupons Expire...not on my watch!

Caleb and I are such suckers for a deal.  We love groupons, living socials, restaurant.com... We have racked up quite a few deals, and we are really good about using them and enjoying them.  But much to my surprise, groupon recently notified me that two of my deals were about to expire.  Ahhh...I took that to mean only one thing, we had plans!  It was time to use them.  Sunday was a snowy day in Texas -very exciting, but pretty rare.  We had plans with the Fabs to use our winery groupon and that snow was not going to stop us! 

 We went to McKinney Texas to visit the Landon Winery. 
Since it was a snowy day, we were the only customers.  This meant we were treated like kings with our very own wine connisseur to share all kinds of random information with us. 
We enjoyed a wide variety of tastes and a delicious cheese board.  

Saturday Caleb and I headed out to Glen Rose, Texas to use our groupon to Dinosaur World.  We made our first stop at The Ranch - a delicious BBQ joint.  I really wanted to capture the essence of the inside of this place, but with all of the Mexican money hanging from the ceilling, and the locals and a forest of mounted animals staring at me, I decided this was not an appropriate time to pull out my camera.
I did however work up the courage to take a shot of the outside - not quite as fascinating as what is indoors.
Next stop, Dinosaur World.  

As a newcomer to Dallas, I sometimes find that I fall into the tourist traps.  There are often places recommended online or in books that might not should be...today was no exception.  

This place really boasts that it is a sight to see.  Perhaps if I was a six year old boy I would agree.  There are over 100 dinosaur models you can walk around the learn about.  Many of whom only a small part of a bone has ever been discovered, yet scientists have somehow managed to replicate the entire dinosaur including skin color. 
There was a museum which contained real and replicas of dinosaur bones that have been found in the area. 

Caleb decided he would like to see something a little more official, so we drove a bit further to Dinosaur Valley State Park. 

This is home to three different locations of dinosaur tracks. 
We had a great day and it was a fun adventure, but we probably won't be back next week. 

1 comment: