Monday, July 18, 2011

Expect the Unexpected

June 27 - July 2

Several months ago I was approached by my church, Watermark Community Church, about being considered for the new K-1 Coordinator position.  It was a little perplexing because I was fully intending to continue to teach at Armstrong another year, and did not even know that this position was available.  I do have a deep love for Watermark and all things related so the idea of working there definitely intrigued me.  Caleb and I were cautiously prayerful about what this might mean for our family.  Over about two months, I went through a long and intense interview process, and my heart felt that if the Lord wanted me at Watermark, how could I say no?  I went from feeling inadequate to do the job to feeling humbled that this might be God's plan for me (and Caleb).  We were prayerfully patient, seeking wise counsel from family and friends, and curious about what our path would be.  I had no definite answer, so Monday, June 27, I attended my scheduled summer inservice.  I felt funny working alongside other teachers in my district, making plans for August, knowing in my heart that there was a chance I would not be back next year.  During the inservice, I received a call from Mark at Watermark asking if I could stop by on my way home.  I did, and was offered the job.  Caleb and I had talked about what our family decision would be if the job was offered, so I accepted and was thrilled.
The next day, I went to lunch with two of my favorite teacher friends - Robyn and Amanda.  They were excited for me and celebrated with me, but it was also hard to know that we would no longer all three be at the same place each day.  I then went to Armstrong and packed up and cleaned out my classroom. (Thanks Robyn for all your help)  I also told my principal that I would not be returning next year.  I was expecting that to be a much more difficult conversation, but he was positive and encouraging and wished me the best.
Wednesday morning, I hit the ground running with my first day on the job at Watermark.  It was a first on many levels: my first time to work in an office, my very first cubicle, my first time to work in ministry, many new friendly faces, and a whole new program to get off the ground.  Wednesday and Thursday proved to be exciting work days - exhausting, but in a good way.  I was continually encouraged that I had made the right decision and was right where God wanted me to be.
Taking this job, I did give up one of the biggest perks of being a teacher - summer.  My new schedule involves working Sunday to Thursday, so that gives Fridays off.  I packed in as much as I could on Friday by finishing cleaning out at school, laying out with friends, and Caleb and I went to a cookout with our foundation group.  It had been such a fast week and it was amazing to see how far the Lord had taken me in such a short time.
Saturday, Caleb, Justin and I helped Josh move during the day.  We refueled on Zaxby's for lunch, which was a new restaurant discovery for me here in Dallas (oh how I have missed their chicken).  For dinner, we met the Fabs at Tillman's Roadhouse.
It was Caleb and my first time eating there - it was our first time down in the Bishop Arts District, and we loved it.  That part of Dallas has so much character, I can't wait to find an afternoon to shop around and discover all Bishop Arts has to offer.
The food was scrumptious and we decided to spring for smores at our table.  They were uniquely fabulous - complete with flavored marshmallows and homemade chocolate and graham crackers.  It was a fun event and we always have a great time with Amanda and Matt. 
I can't wait to eat at Tillman's Roadhouse again for a special occasion.

I'm thankful to the Lord for my new job, the chance to learn more about Him and to tell others about how much He loves them.

Caleb has been such a solid and strong support through my job change and was more than helpful in the decision making process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment